Sejauh Aku Mampu
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Learning From Friends (3)

Mrs. Tantri Ambarsari, my chemistry teacher said a memorable advice to the class that,"The most beautiful moment is the third year of your senior high school. So, please remember every moment in your last days in this year." I don't know when I will remember that until.


University life is the strange phase in someone's life, especially for the relationship with others. Unfortunately and Fortunately (difficult to choose between those two), I currently study in a multiracial university untill my friend said that she was surrounded by the people with the languages from other planets (May be she hasn't been accustomed to this situation, and I was thinking like that also). Day by day, I understand more that when we make a friendship, we only mix with the people with the same background with us. For example, many of my friends are from choir members. I think that always happens in university life.


Do you think that this is the dangerous phenomenon in university life. It is okay if our friends are from the same extra curriculair activity. This will be more dangerous if our friends are only those who have the same religion, race, culture, and a specific group. There's a joke that I always use to tease my neighbour usually, when he mentioned one's name, I can always easily guess that he or she is my neighbor's friend from the same school as him or from the same religion with him. This is the dangerous thing when we limit ourselves. I think this isn't always because of we limit ourselves also, the main reason is that we are already busy with our tasks and school assignment untill we don't have time to create more friendship.



The identity crisis sometimes strikes those who face this multiracial themselves. For example when someone who isn't Indian always makes friend with the Indians. I think that person will feel something strange if he or she comes back to his or her own society. He or she will think also that he or she is an Indian. Hopefully, this doesn't happen to me (almost). There is a contemplable story from one of my friend. She quit from a kind of extra curriculair activity because she finally knew that many people from a specific nation joined that club. Because she has been for a long time in Singapore, the hatred to a specific nation evolves in her mind. This is really dangerous if we aren't open-minded in a multiracial country.


This is the time for us to check whether we have made friends with all people without choosing our own friends from our own community. I know that this can't be avoided. "Birds of a feather, flock together", I think that is the proper proverb to depict the situation. I myself feel more convenient with those who are from Indonesia. Hopefully, I can learn much from the next four years in this multiracial NTU. Understanding other people is one of the purpose why God placed me here. Okay, wanna go to Vietnam this June. Who wants to join ?

Habis prayer meeting tadi sore, ngobrol tentang hal sejenis. Habis makan udang Bu Rudi pemberian Adrian. Serta kulit ayam goreng + sambal yang pedese puolllll....Tadi midterm dibagikan, kecewa. Besok mau lihat Sidney Mohede di CHC.

Labels:

posted by -ian- @ 7:14 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 3:04 AM, Blogger -dimas hary- said…

    June will go to Viet Nam ? .. which city ? Saigon a.k.a Ho Chi Minh City ? .. don't forget to say my hi to Ben Thanh Market yaa .. :)

    You are going to enjoy the trip as I am really sure ..

    Oooh .. about the italic words, itu kan ceritanya seseorang menjawab akan apa yang saya pertanyakan atau permasalahkan ... seperti bercakap dengan diri sendiri ... :-)

    Have a great day, Septian ..

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger pyuriko said…

    Jadi kangen saat masa2 skolah dulu...

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Bakhrian said…

    Berada di antara kultur yang berbeda memang sulit... apalagi di negara yang cenderung individualis... kamu tidak sendirian Septian... banyak yang merasakan itu... termasuk saya.... hiks...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
It is about what I face and the circumstances which I encounter.
About Me

Name: -ian-
Home: Nanyang Crescent, Boon Lay, Singapore
About Me: When everything changes, I wanna still stay there calmly, and wait for the right time. I am surrounded by so called "radical" dreams. I don't know whether it is a form of idealism of a youth. But, be a doctor was my dream, but Physics came into me. ITB was my dream, but He gave NTU for me. Currently, I wanna be a high school teacher, researcher, journalist, writer, businessman, also want to study abroad again. It is unclear but it is fair. As far as I can, because I can jump higher as a true worshiper, as a true believer. Let me be a clay oh God, form me as You want.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix
Links
GJ Accessories
Google
Technorati blog directory KampungBlog.com - Kumpulan Blog-Blog Indonesia free web counter Locations of visitors to this page
© Sejauh Aku Mampu . template by isnaini dot com