Sejauh Aku Mampu
Saturday, May 12, 2007
May 1998, Indonesian-Chinese, and Singapore
Chinatown in Singapore


The tragedy in May 1998 is still fresh in every memory of Indonesians. The month of chaos and the month where President Soeharto resigned as a president. The month where many people died, a source told that more than one thousand people died. My friend said to me about this tragedy and some of them said that on May 1998, many of their houses and shops were burned. Some sources told about the rape of the woman but the truth of this story is still debatable. The chaos situation made those crimes easily undetected.



One thing that doesn't make me stop asking is why there should be an offence to Indonesian Chinese at that time. This adds the long history of the existence of Indonesian Chinese in Indonesia. Having read Wikipedia, there was actually a massacre of Chinese people in Batavia in 1740. Then When Suharto came to power, Chinese Indonesians were increasingly discriminated against. With the justification of denouncing Chinese communism, Suharto not only closed communist-leaning parties, but also extended his reach toward all Chinese Indonesian parties and all aspects of Chinese Indonesian socio-culture. Soeharto effectively stripped Chinese Indonesians of power, banning them from politics and the military. He championed forced assimilation policy against Chinese Indonesians so that they would forget their ties to China. This policy brought forth many anti Chinese legislations. Soeharto passed and enacted very discriminatory citizenship laws, such as forcing Chinese Indonesians to re-register themselves as Indonesian citizens by renouncing their alleged Chinese citizenship regardless of the validity of the Indonesian citizenship they may already have. He denounced Chinese cultures and banned Chinese characters and literature. This made them couldn't learn their own languange at that time. My friend told me about this problem and she felt annoyed because she couldn't learn Chinese character. It seemed that she was so angry when she told me about that "sensitive" matter.



Perhaps, Singapore was the safer place for them to run away from that situation. Many businessmans saved their assets to Singapore, bought condos, and created their new life here. This is why many Singaporeans perceived that Indonesians were rich. That paradigm is still on their mind, I think, even though many of them have known the actual condition in Indonesia. The impact is still felt now. Many Indonesians here are mostly Indonesian Chinese. A friend of mine told me how his sister doesn't really want to study in Indonesia and she insisted to go to Singapore. We can't deny that they can't go to governmental position and Indonesia wasn't a hope for them to live in. Many of us stereotype that they are richer. Okay, but let's remember how they struggled on their economy, the strong discrimination till they don't have position in Indonesia. Let's understand this condition and hope there should be a strong understanding each other. But, I still don't know how to built that understanding.


to be continued...


Adoeh...masalah rasis lagi, sebenernya ga mau nulis ini, tapi ya gara2 bulan MEi.

Labels:

posted by -ian- @ 11:30 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Gagah Putera Arifianto said…

    Great post about one of the biggest milestone in our history. Btw, singapore not only perfect hideaway for the victim, but also great escaping country for the "mistaken".

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Devi Girsang, MD said…

    I've written down this topic on mine last year. Whatever. I don't want to discuss it any longer.

    It's Mother's Day anyway!!!

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Blogger Jennie S. Bev said…

    Thank you for writing this posting. Race and racism must be openly discussed so we can learn from our mistakes and make a great leap forward.

    I thank you, Septian, from the bottom of my heart.

    ~ Jennie S. Bev

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger [H][A][R][R][I][S] said…

    Iya nih... masih banyak yang rasis, palagi sama banfgsa tionghoa.

    Woa... NO COMMENT dah gw :P

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Bakhrian said…

    Here in Sydney, I was asked by Chinness students, why it happened in our country? Why we hate them??? And i did not know what i should say...

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger -ian- said…

    @ all friends, thanks buat kunjungannya.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sometimes i wonder, though, whether the anti-chinese regulation turned out to be good anyway. THe thing now is that most indonesian of chinese descent (including me) speaks indonesian instead of chinese as the mother tongue, and makes them feel very Indonesian, not a Chinese living in Indonesia.

    and this is also the thing that make many singaporeans amazed. Regardless of the difference in skin colour, eye shape, bla bla bla, we speak the same language and look "united". It's a one thing that Singapore can't achieve, since they have (IMO) distinguished people just because of their race.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
It is about what I face and the circumstances which I encounter.
About Me

Name: -ian-
Home: Nanyang Crescent, Boon Lay, Singapore
About Me: When everything changes, I wanna still stay there calmly, and wait for the right time. I am surrounded by so called "radical" dreams. I don't know whether it is a form of idealism of a youth. But, be a doctor was my dream, but Physics came into me. ITB was my dream, but He gave NTU for me. Currently, I wanna be a high school teacher, researcher, journalist, writer, businessman, also want to study abroad again. It is unclear but it is fair. As far as I can, because I can jump higher as a true worshiper, as a true believer. Let me be a clay oh God, form me as You want.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix
Links
GJ Accessories
Google
Technorati blog directory KampungBlog.com - Kumpulan Blog-Blog Indonesia free web counter Locations of visitors to this page
© Sejauh Aku Mampu . template by isnaini dot com